Last year I sat down and made new year’s resolutions, as one does. I had just read an article about the silliness of setting goals that are not quantifiable, so I avoided the usual “work hard at stuff” “lose weight” “be more like a dragon” resolutions that take over most lists. Instead, I ended up with a list of around 20 foods I wanted to make in 2014 and “go kayaking.” Although I don’t think this list resulted in self-actualization, it did lead to bagels, macarons, lemon tarts, two kinds of homemade ravioli, roasted chicken, a knife skills class, a six-layer cake, and a treacherous canoe trip around a lake in which the phrase “THIS IS WHY I BELONG INDOORS” was uttered as we were almost swept out to sea. Since I am apparently entirely uninterested in setting non-food goals for myself, here are some foods I would like to make in 2015. Friends, this is your opportunity to invite yourselves over for dinner or dessert.
- CHEESECAKE. New York Style. In a springform pan. Perhaps in a waterbath, if I am brave.
- Lasagna, made all by myself. I’ve made it before but never on my own.
- This Lemon Crepe Cake.
- Jalapeno Poppers, bacon wrapped, because I’ve never made or had them and I think I’d love them. Coming soon to a party near you.
- This Everything Bagel Spiced Cheese Ball
- Tacos Al Pastor with the crispy cheese on one side like at Puesto (I just spent ten minutes reading through their menu and now I’m homesick for tacos)
- I want to make a croquembouche for no reason whatsoever
- Panna cotta because every season of Master Chef someone has to cook it and when I’m selected I do NOT want to be caught unprepared
- Lemon Meringue Pie
- I want this to be an even dozen, one a month, but I can’t think of anything else so TBD.
Any other suggestions? Anything that will change my life if I make it in 2015?